Art & Design
Aims and objectives:
- To enable children to record from first-hand experience and from imagination, and to select their own ideas to use in their work;
- To encourage children’s ability to evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- To develop creativity and imagination through a range of complex activities;
- To improve the children's ability to control materials, tools and techniques;
- To increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures;
- To develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials;
- To foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts, a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers and also to understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
Children have opportunities to draw, paint, print, make collages, use fabrics and threads and use clay. They are taught the skills and techniques and then given the opportunity to practise them to produce individual and group pieces of work. Children are encouraged to critically evaluate their own work and that of others in order to learn from their experiences.